As I was madly rummaging through the small, yet quite extensive library in my house in search of a lost Calculus textbook, I stumbled upon a collection of children’s literature books. Most of these I recognized immediately, as they were the books that my sister and I read when we were young. These were the classics, like “The Little Engine That Could”, the collection of “Bernstein Bears” books, and a collection of Roald Dahl books including “The Twits” and “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”. For children at that time, before the Internet became a worldwide trend, such books were what taught us the foundations of reading and writing, along with teaching us valuable life lessons. It is astounding to see that kids these days are learning to read and write using a computer. Just as a little experiment, I searched for “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” by Roald Dahl on the Chapters website. It did not surprise me to find out that not only do they have the hardcover book version, but they also have audio CD’s, computer games, movies, and CD-ROM texts of the story. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because it allows for multiple ways to enjoy the masterpiece. However, it is sad to observe that the use of the good-old-fashioned book has declined dramatically since the dawn of electronic media. Countless times have I heard people say “Oh I’ll just go and see the movie, then I’ll understand the book”. In this sense, the use of the book is dying. However, the value of the book is still worth its weight in gold. Reading a book has, and always will have a certain sensation that cannot be emulated by a computer or television screen.
All of this has recently come to my attention, after a long hiatus from reading. I had forgotten how different it felt to sit down and read a good book, compared to how it feels to sit in front of a computer screen and browse the World Wide Web. A good example of this “reading sensation” is the physical action of turning pages (As opposed to clicking on a scroll bar). This subtle action, along with others such as holding the actual literature in your hands, and taking time out of the daily routine to sit and read it, contributes to the overall reading experience. When I first started reading Vancouver Short Stories, the sensation immediately came back to me. It is much more interesting and enjoyable to read literature about the history of our great city than to read dry and boring fact books. This is the genius behind the book, especially fictional books, to learn something and to enjoy what you’re reading at the same time.
3 comments:
Jared is absolutely right about the fact that books allow us to both learn as well as enjoy our time. After doing a set of math problems, sitting down and reading Hey Nostradamus was not just another chore, it was something I would have read on my free time as well. Books on Cd roms and movies also steal away our creative sides, since all the images are already layed out for us, and it is sad that books are slowly becoming less popular.
I agree with you guys on this one saying books are becoming less popular, but how can they compete against newer technology? I think books are getting a negative rep, in school kids are forced to read books and what do they want to do in their spare time? obviously not read more. Movies, games, and interactive books on Cds draw them in with their visuals and simplicity. I agree 100% with Farnaz when she said these things "steal away our creative sides". I just think it's sad how kids now might not want to explore their own adventures for themshelves. Relying and settling on others' ideas and renditions to influence their thoughts of stories.
It’s sad that people spend less and less time on books rather that other electronic media but, E- media still can be a good medium for attracting people to books. I have also heard many people say that they went to read a book after they watched the movie about it because they became interested in that story and wanted to learn more. Since books have values that are eternal, I believe that books will always be in demand even though more and more electronic media are innovated.
Post a Comment